You have finally made the decision to sell your home. Now you need to ensure that you get the best possible price for it. There are a number of things you can do to create a good impression of your home. These will help attract potential buyers and increase the chances of a sale at a preferred price.
The first place to start is by walking through your home with “new eyes” take note of things that buyers would notice and if possible either replace or repair these items. The following are some guidelines of what you can do:
- Dust everywhere – on fan blades, mantles and on top of cupboards
- Polish – appliances and taps
- Wash – windows
- CLEAR CLUTTER: less items on table tops or counters give the appearance of space
- PAINT: you might love the bright paint colours in all your rooms but, rather repaint rooms in neutral tones like white or shades of tan
- SMELLS: make sure that you don’t cook strong smelling foods which can linger and be unpleasant.
- PERSONAL ITEMS: potential buyers like to picture themselves in your home and family photos and personal items make this difficult, so remove as many of these from sight as possible.
- NATURAL LIGHT: open as many curtains and windows making the home as light as possible.
- REMOVE BULK: take any large furniture items out of the rooms to improve the spacious feel.
- DECOR: tone down any items that reflect your particular style and distract from the beauty of your home.
- OUTDOORS: spend some time making the garden look good. Trim shrubs, weed flower beds, clear walkways and fix any paint work that might need it.
- LIGHTING: replace all light bulbs to ensure that all lights are working
- remove toiletries
- get a new set of towels to use for show days
- replace old bath mats, shower curtains and toilet seats if necessary
- take everything off the outside of the fridge
- remove unnecessary appliances off the counter tops
- THE GARAGE: organize the garage to make it look as spacious and clean as possible.
Your home is now ready to have a great show day and it is now time for your agent to take over and secure you a successful sale.